The meeting of the International Amateur Radio Union Region 2 Executive Committee (IARU R2) met virtually on August 2, 2023.
Region 2 President and Area A Director George Gorsline, VE3YV, presided over the meeting. Also in attendance and participating in the meeting: Vice President & Treasurer Gustavo de Faria Franco, PT2ADM, Region 2 Secretary and Area B Director Rod Stafford, W6ROD, Area C Director Victor Damián Pinilla Morán, XE1VP, Area D Director José Arturo Molina, YS1MS, Area E Director Jaime Hernando Duarte HK6W, Area F Director Oscar Pancorvo, OA4AMN, Area G Director Dino Besomi, CE3PG, Region 2 Assistant Treasurer John Sager, WJ7S and IARU Secretary Joel Harrison, W5ZN
- A major topic of discussion was the status of the Region 2 preparations for the upcoming WRC-23 which will be held in Dubai in November, 2023. Region 2 representation at CITEL and CTU meetings were reviewed and plans were confirmed for Region 2 representation at the WRC.
- IARU Update. IARU Secretary Joel Harrison W5ZN presented an update of IARU Adminsistrative Council matters including the most recent Administrative Council (AC) meeting in Germany in June, 2023. The AC has been busy preparing for the WRC-23 which will take place later in 2023. Secretary Harrison gave an update on one of the more problematic agenda items that will be addressed at WRC-23. At the upcoming IARU Region 1 conference in Serbia in October, 2023, the IARU will make a presentation on the restructuring of IARU. It will be the first opportunity to discuss the matter at a regional conference and to obtain feedback and suggestions from the R1 Member Societies. He also reported on the effort to re-write/update the terms of reference for the IARU Monitoring Service. Secretary Harrison also reported that the IARU Officer Consultative Process had been completed according to the IARU Consititution and that candidates for the office of IARU President and IARU Vice President have been presented to the AC and accepted.
- Adoption of 2023 Budget. The adoption of the 2023 Budget was previously postponed to allow for consideration of any in-person meetings of the R2 EC during 2023 and any dues or partial dues moratorium during the remainder of 2023. The draft 2023 budget was discussed and adopted.
- EMCOM. Area G Director Dino Besomi, CE3PG presented a detailed report examing the disaster risks for the various parts of Region 2. The paper detailed the 3 various areas in Region 2 to suffer natural disasters and the types of events that are experienced in those areas. He proposed to establish an EmergencyCommunications Advisory Council or Working Group to better coordinate the planning and response by amateur radio to emergency communications events within Region 2. Vice President Gustavo de Faria Franco, PT2ADM will work with Director Besomi, Region 2 EMCOM Coordinator Carlos Alberto Santamaria CO2JC and an appointee from Canada or the United States to prepare an action plan to implement the ideas contained in Director Besomi’s emergency communications report.
- The R2 EC will make a presentation to the Region 2 Societies related to the current efforts to restructure the IARU. The presentation will be made to the R2 societies early in 2024.
- IARU Region 2 News Editor and Area C Director Victor Damián Pinilla Morán, XE1VP presented a written report dealing with actions to be taken to improve the collection and dissemination of newsworthy ítems on the IARU R2 web site and to the R2 Members Societies.
- The R2 EC agreed to meeting again virtually on Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 2300 UTC.
Also available in Español (Spanish).